Proof of vaccine required to enter municipal recreation facilities
Area municipalities asking patrons to ‘check before you rec’
Waterloo Region –As required by the Province of Ontario, beginning September 22, municipalities across Waterloo Region will require all individuals entering an indoor municipal recreation facility or community centre to provide proof of full vaccination along with identification.
· Patrons entering or accessing critical services (e.g., food distribution programs, warming/cooling centres, voting, etc.)
· Children under 12 years of age
· Patrons under 18 years of age who are actively participating in an organized sport (e.g., sports leagues, organized pick-up sports, dance classes, martial arts, swimming classes, etc.)
· Patrons with a medical exemption and a written document from a physician (designated MD) or registered nurse extended class or nurse practitioner
All other public health measures (e.g., masking, and physical distancing) continue to apply to patrons.
Acceptable forms of identification must include name and date of birth. These include:
· Birth certificate
· Citizenship card
· Driver’s licence
· Government (Ontario or other) issued identification card, including health card
· Indian status card /Indigenous membership card
· Permanent resident card
From September 22 until October 21 individuals can show proof of vaccination via a paper or electronic copy of their vaccine record. Beginning October 22, individuals can show proof of vaccine with their Government of Ontario-issued QR code. Individuals can print or download their vaccination receipt from the provincial booking portal at link below.
Patrons are encouraged to “check before you rec” by health screening through sports organizations or municipal screenings and reviewing COVID-19 procedures at municipal recreation facilities before arriving. Where possible, build in extra time to allow for necessary screening and vaccine verification when visiting municipal recreation facilities.
Area municipalities within Waterloo Region are also implementing vaccine policies for staff, volunteers, and students.
In the coming days, visit your respective municipal website for information on accessing recreation facilities and specific protocols.